Automated identity verification is a smart strategy to help prevent fraud and ensure Know Your Customer (KYC) compliance. Slow, manual processes are prone to error, but automation allows for quicker and more accurate onboarding of customers. Team members can focus on growing the business and not on tedious checks, which improves productivity and creates a better onboarding experience.
The solutions required to meet your KYC requirements, reduce identity fraud, and authenticate a customer for a high value transaction are getting more complex. You often have to integrate with multiple vendors and develop extensive domain expertise to pick the right service providers in a digital-first world. But it’s hard for SMBs to do that, given their limited budgets and limited access to bank-grade technology and security solutions. So SMBs have been an easier target for bad actors — until now.
GlobalGateway EmbedID is the fastest way to add identity verification and fraud detection to your digital onboarding process. The Trulioo global network of data sources and verification services means you have access to the best-of-breed technology in just minutes.
This tutorial walks you through the steps to verify identities with a multi-layered approach on your localhost.
With EmbedID identity verification, you can:
- Deliver a customizable registration form that updates dynamically based on your customer’s country of residence.
- Include an automated digital identity verification step to your verification process.
- Include an automated ID document verification step to your verification process.
- Apply biometric liveness detection and facial comparison technology to the selfie photo uploaded to make sure it matches the photo on the ID document.
- Enable business managers to manage your verification process without requiring a software development change.
You need the following tools:
- A Trulioo account (free)
- Any code or text editor
- Repl.it (free).
Step 1: Get the items you need
- Sign in or create your free account at https://gateway-admin.trulioo.com/.
- Download and save a zip or clone the GitHub repo from https://github.com/Rutherware/api-days-wkshop.
- Extract the zip file you downloaded. From the extracted folder, you will need the code from backend.js and will edit the index.html file.
Step 2: Create your automated identity verification flow
- Go to https://gateway-admin.trulioo.com/dashboard once you are logged in.
- Click EmbedID in the left-hand navbar.
- Click Create New Experience.
- Give it a name. Let’s go with “HelloWorld.”
- Select Identity Verification -> Document Verification.
- Click Create.
Step 3: Start your back-end service
This quickstart example uses repl.it as a fast way to run the EmbedID back-end service. However, the code in backend.js will work on any Node.js server if you want to set up the EmbedID back-end service on your own server.
- Go to https://repl.it/.
- Click Start coding (or click the + icon if you already have a repl.it account).
- Create a new Node.js repl.
- Open your text or code editor (NotePad will work). Within your editor, open backend.js from the folder you downloaded.
- Copy the code from backend.js to the index.js file in repl.it.
- Go back to your identity verification flow called “HelloWorld” in the left-hand sidebar and click to expand the Keys section.
- Locate the API Key (BE) field and click the icon to copy your API Key.
- Go back to repl.it and paste your API Key (BE) between the empty quotes on the line where it says “Your API key.”
- Click Run.
Step 4: Set up your front-end HTML
- The repl.it server is running once you see “The EmbedID server is ready” in the console.
- Copy the Repl server URL from the upper right side of the repl.it UI.
- Open your text or code editor (NotePad will work). Within your editor, open index.html from the folder you downloaded.
- Paste the Repl server URL in the empty quotes on the line where it says “Access Token URL.“
- Go back to your identity verification flow called “HelloWorld” on the left-hand sidebar and click to expand the Keys section.
- Locate the Trial Key (FE) field and click the icon to copy your Trial Key.
- Go back to your code editor with index.html and paste the Trial Key (FE) between the empty quotes on the line where it says “Insert your Trial key.”
Step 5: We’re done! Let’s try it out
- Open index.html in your browser
- You will see your “HelloWorld” identity verification flow appear.
The power of EmbedID does not stop with ease of installation. You can now update and customize the verification flow, either to add additional identity fields for your customer to input or to add an ID document verification check and liveness detection check. And once you click Save, changes instantly appear in integration without requiring you to write any new code.
The ID document verification feature from Trulioo GlobalGateway, like our digital identity verification feature, is truly a first-in-class product, as it provides you access to a global network of leading ID document verification providers. That means you get the most comprehensive global coverage to meet all of your automated identity verification and fraud detection needs.